incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Podling Committer policy
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:01:01 GMT
On 6/7/07, ant elder <antelder@apache.org> wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > My apologies if I'm resurrecting something that was discussed extensively.
> >
> > It has been pointed out to me that:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-57
> >
> > The actual votes are held on the private lists. I'm not sure I
> > understand that. I would have thought that - after having the pre-vote
> > discussion on the private lists, the main vote would happen on the
> > podling-dev and general@incubator lists.
> >
> > Can someone please explain the logic to me?
>

> How come there hasn't been a formal [VOTE] on this as it's a policy change?

it's not a policy change

everything outside
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html is
guidance not policy. the document in question is CTR not RTC.

so, anyone feeling sufficiently strongly about these changes should either

 * -1 the commit and force a vote on this matter
 * propose a change in policy which renders this guidance obsolete

> Its quite hard to keep track of what the current incubator policy's are

+1

> , at
> least [VOTE]s are easier to spot, with this its required just watching the
> guide history in SVN:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/guides/ppmc.xml?view=log

IMO the incubator needs to shift to operate on the basis of a set of
recorded rules. in particular, every new policy change VOTE should be
about a set of concrete changes to the policy document
(http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html).

- robert