incubator-general mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NMS
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 16:36:57 GMT
> Maybe we should create a set of APIs that offer genuinely open access
> to messaging systems on .NET, Java, C, C# etc. Of course if Sun wished
> to offer us the JMS API under an unencumbered license we could do
> that, otherwise we could start from scratch.
>
> This Apache Messaging API could then be freely implementable under
> AL2.0 license rules without having to worry about this sort of IP

FWIW this is why we created NMS for .Net and CMS for C++ along with
APIs for Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP, Smalltalk and yes, even Flash as
well. Though clearly we need clarifiation on whether reading the JMS
specification 8 years ago (among using heaps of other similar APIs)
rules you out of being able to create a messaging API ever again :)

--
James
-------