incubator-general mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NMS
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 16:31:38 GMT
> Hiram
>

> > I guess you are referring to the license to that allows a person to
> > hold a copy of the JMS spec.  I wonder if violating/terminating the
> > that license IP taints any work created using Ideas obtain from it.
> > Since this seems to be in the Idea category... I would have thought
> > that there would need some patents in place to enforce it.
>
> Not really. Once you agree to a contract (like that license) its
> simply contract law, AFAIK.
>

> > > at the JMS specification. Secondly the JMS copyright. Since, as far as
> > > I can see, NMS is likely to be a "derived work" of JMS it is also
> > > likely that it breaches the copyright of the spec.
> > >

> > I can assure you that no copying has taken place.  NMS was initially
> > not an abstract messaging API.  It was just an API to the .NET client
> > implementation for ActiveMQ.  Once that started to take shape an
> > abstract API that has the same domain model as JMS was extracted from
> > the implementation.   It would be more accurate to say that NMS is a
> > derived work of an ActiveMQ client.
>
> Yes, but where did the ActiveMQ design come from? Since ActiveMQ was
> designed - as I understand it - as an implementation of the JMS spec,

Not really - it was designed to be a message broker of similar
capability as things like MSMQ, MQSeries & TibCo. So there's various
APIs, protocols and clients for connecting to it...

http://activemq.apache.org/protocols.html
http://activemq.apache.org/cross-language-clients.html

JMS is just the API used on the Java platform for working with a provider.

--
James
-------