incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: NMS
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 03:47:46 GMT
John O'Hara wrote:

> On the IETF thread, the early standards were 'clean'.  And there is a
> requirement to register patent interests against RFC's.

Yes *early* IETF standards were clean, but they are supposed to be the
guardians of the I in IETF, and have been delinquent by allowing IP
constrained standards.  Hence my comment that "the IETF has lost a lot of
credibility as an independent standards body, and really ought to be
ashamed."  They should be taking a purely hardline on IP, and requiring that
all IP related to every single IETF standard be effectively turned over, not
caving to commercial interests.

	--- Noel