incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Incubator reports
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:18:50 GMT
I notice that we already have a place where we can put structured
information. Each project has a <project>.xml file where the status
is recorded. This file gets transformed into the <project>.html file
for the site.

"All we need to do" is to decide on an xml tag that identifies the
reporting schedule and have podlings put it into the document. Then
write an xslt transform that extracts the schedule information from
each <project>.xml file.

For example,
<section id="Reporting">
<title>Reporting Schedule</title>

I don't know quite enough about how to specify or transform the
schedule data, but at least we can put it somewhere that already
exists and is maintained.

On Jun 20, 2007, at 10:07 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 6/19/07, Martijn Dashorst <> wrote:
>> On 6/19/07, Justin Erenkrantz <> wrote:
>> Yes.
>> > Not at the expense of making it hard for humans to maintain it.  If
>> > you can't make sense of the format in 10 seconds or less, then it's
>> > unlikely to get much attention.  -- justin
> they don't get much attention now even though they are in loosely
> structured
> formats :-/
> +1 (though not saying rdf is incomprehensible, haven't looked at it
>> much yet, thought the premise warrants support on its own :-)
> cost of maintenance is a more complex issue than just format
> this information needs to be available in several different formats
> for
> different purposes. free text is the easiest format to understand
> but is not
> necessarily the easiest to maintain. if the price of unstructured
> text is
> maintaining multiple documents then this may be most costly than
> using a
> structured format.
> - robert

Craig Russell