incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: To vote or not to vote
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 18:33:43 GMT
Hi Noel,

On Jun 7, 2007, at 10:24 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> Cool :) So should we have a vote on ode-dev then?
>
> <<shrug>>
>
> Sometimes I think that we get a bit vote happy.  Is this really
> something
> that is in need of a vote?  E.g., is this a policy decision, karma
> grant or
> code release?  Does being a Mentor grant any special powers/rights?

Well, yes.  There are a dozen references to the Mentor role in Policy
[1]. The responsibilities, requirements, karma grants are all defined
in Policy.

> Is it really just a term for a PMC Member who is actively engaged
> in the mutual
> act of mentoring the community?

Then we have a policy update to do to remove the formal definition of
a Mentor. About ten sentences. And then who does what we currently
define Mentors to do?

> Now, let us say that you have a vote.  The result is 6 to 4.
> Majority, even
> 60%.  But I'd hardly consider that a consensus.  On the other hand,
> if there
> is a clear consensus, do we always need to explicitly count it?

I think the term is "lazy consensus" which is not used to describe
anything beyond the acceptance of the podling by the incubator.

There seems to be consensus here (myself included by the way) that
assignment of a Mentor to an existing podling should be done by lazy
consensus of both the Incubator PMC and the podling PPMC.

Here's a paragraph that we can use to update the Policy, under
Incubation Activities:

<proposed>
New Mentors
If the podling has a need for additional Mentors, additional Mentors
can be assigned to the podling. The new Mentors must be incubator PMC
members. The new Mentors are proposed by a member of the podling
community and are accepted if no objections are raised by the podling
PPMC or incubator PMC within 72 hours. If objections are raised then
a formal vote is taken and majority rules.
</proposed>

> Consider: do we need to vote for a release manager?  The answer is
> no, by
> the way.

The release manager is not a defined Incubator role. The Mentor is.

> We vote for a release, though.  We require a community decision on
> the release, in large measure to protect individuals.

The release process is defined in Policy, including the vote
requirements.

Craig

[1] grep entor site-author/incubation/Incubation_Policy.xml
           <li>the Mentors, nominated by the Sponsor, who will guide
the Candidate
through the Incubation Process. At least one nominated Mentor MUST be
Incubator
PMC. However the Incubator PMC MAY also suggest replacement Mentors.
The Incubator PMC has the final choice of Mentors.
Mentor becomes a
a <a href='#Mentor'>Mentor</a> SHOULD initiate the creation of:
           Your project's mentors are able to undertake many of the
setup
produce a
they MAY
include a details of what the Podling and/or Mentor is disputing, and
the request and provide feedback to the Podling and Mentor. Such
contents of
           <li>the reason the Podling and/or Mentor still dispute the
report.
Mentor or the Sponsor, however only the Incubator PMC is authorised
           <li>The mentor or other member updates www.apache.org to
add a link to
           <li>The mentor or other member adds the new PMC to the
board reporting
       <section id="Mentor">
         <title>Mentor
an Apache Member.
Mentors are chosen by the Sponsor to actively monitor the
to the Sponsor and the Incubator PMC. All Mentors must be members of the
Incubator PMC. A Mentor has
acceptance of a candidate project, the assigned Mentors shall be given
incubation process. This is to allow the Mentors to perform their
the repository, the Mentor must earn them as would any other
potential new committer. In some cases, the Mentor may be part of the