incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Java Resource Simulator (JRS)
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:28:34 GMT
On 6/24/07, Leo Simons <mail@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2007, at 8:24 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> > This is a proposal to develop a Java-based interface response
> > capture/playback tool.
>
> Interesting proposal. Seems useful.
>
> > Documentation
> > ---------------------
> > Documentation is available on request. See below.
> >

> > Initial source
> > -----------------
> > Until the project has been accepted, code grant executed and ASL
> > applied, we do not want to make the sources publicly available. This
> > is in part because the sources currently include license headers
> > inconsistent with public distribution. Interested parties may
> > individually contact the proposal Champion below to work out the
> > logistics of access to the source code during proposal review.
>
> I don't think we've done it this way before. I can understand not
> wanting to make source openly available, but I don't like that "to
> work out logistics of access" happens individually, and the "on
> request" makes me a bit itchy, too.

Its not really a matter of not wanting to, just the current license
headers make posting it publicly dicey and there is also the issue of
where to put it.  I am assuming that until the grant is executed
~psteitz is not OK.

> I think if you do things this way you should at least implement a
> clear, open, privacy-respecting, documented and non-discriminating
> logistics thingie (along the lines of "tarball is at https://<foo>/,
> contact me for username/password. We won't use your contact details
> in any way except to provide you the username/password.").

Agreed.  There is no intention to discriminate or limit in any way.

What have others done to workaround the bootstrapping problem for code
that is currently internally licensed / restricted distribution before
the proposal is accepted and a grant can be executed?

Phil