incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: To vote or not to vote
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:10:00 GMT
Noel

I'm also with you - I don't think that - unless the ODE community have
some concerns - there is any need for any votes. I simply started a
vote on general because I thought it might be quicker than arguing
about whether a vote was necessary!

AFAIC we can get on and bootstrap the PPMC now.

Paul

> > Cool :) So should we have a vote on ode-dev then?
>
> <<shrug>>
>
> Sometimes I think that we get a bit vote happy.  Is this really something
> that is in need of a vote?  E.g., is this a policy decision, karma grant or
> code release?  Does being a Mentor grant any special powers/rights?  Is it
> really just a term for a PMC Member who is actively engaged in the mutual
> act of mentoring the community?
>
> Now, let us say that you have a vote.  The result is 6 to 4.  Majority, even
> 60%.  But I'd hardly consider that a consensus.  On the other hand, if there
> is a clear consensus, do we always need to explicitly count it?
>
> Consider: do we need to vote for a release manager?  The answer is no, by
> the way.  We vote for a release, though.  We require a community decision on
> the release, in large measure to protect individuals.
>
>         --- Noel

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org