incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NMS
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:19:09 GMT
Hiram

I'm not sure about whether Sun has relevant patents on the JMS APIs.
Howver, there are two things that may have been violated. Firstly, the
license agreement that was "clicked-through" whenever someone looked
at the JMS specification. Secondly the JMS copyright. Since, as far as
I can see, NMS is likely to be a "derived work" of JMS it is also
likely that it breaches the copyright of the spec.

Paul

> I ceased use of and destroyed my copy of the Specification years ago =)
>
> But seriously, what kind of IP is it that is being violated?
> copyright? patent? or some other kind that I'm not aware of?
>
> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> On 6/1/07, Arnaud Simon <asimon@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We have been thinking about implementing the NMS API as part of the
> > QPID .Net client. However we are concerned about potential legal issues.
> > It seems to me that the NMS API is very similar to the JMS one but the
> > JMS specification specifically licenses the technology "only for Java".
> >
> > This is the relevant license, copied directly from the JMS Spec
> > document:
> >
> > "Subject to the terms and conditions of this license, Sun hereby grants
> > you a fully-paid, non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide, limited
> > license (without the right to sublicense) under Sun's intellectual
> > property rights to review the Specification internally solely for the
> > purpose of designing and developing your Java applets and applications
> > intended to run on the Java platform. Other than this limited license,
> > you acquire no right, title or interest in or to the Specification or
> > any other Sun intellectual property. The Specification contains the
> > proprietary information of Sun and may only be used in accordance with
> > the license terms set forth herein. This license will terminate
> > immediately without notice from Sun if you fail to comply with any
> > provision of this license. Upon termination or expiration of this
> > license, you must cease use of or destroy the Specification."
> >
> > Does anybody know if this concern has already been raised?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Arnaud

> --
> Regards,