incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Check of project name for trademark issues
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:38:05 GMT
On 6/11/07, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org> wrote:

> On Monday 11 June 2007 17:51, Xavier Hanin wrote:
>
> > Any recommendation on how to use the uspto.gov search? Ivy is a common
> name
> > and I get a lot of trademarks containing Ivy, but I don't know if they
> are
> > relative to a software.
>
> Good start is to look for "Ivy + Software". If you get hits on that, need
> look at the details, if not I think you should be fairly Ok. Google is
> also
> good for these kinds of searches. Sometimes you will find that even though
> it
> is not protected Trademark, we wouldn't want to step on someone's toes.
>
> Also, large multinationals will protect their mark even if the business is
> different. So if you know of any of those, then it is time to look for a
> new
> name.
>
> Finally, all the gray areas, gather the details and post to
> legal-discuss@apache.org, and ask for advice.

I've tried to subscribe to legal-discuss and post a message, but I was
unlucky so far. Since this is a private list, is there any special way to
subscribe? I've sent an e-mail using my apache address to
legal-discuss-subscribe@apache.org, received an e-mail asking for
confirmation, then nothing... Any idea?

Xavier

Cheers