incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Java Resource Simulator (JRS)
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:39:13 GMT
This is definitely interesting... one of the components in Java Web
Parts[1] is a filter[2] that records incoming requests.  Along with that
is an application[3] that can take the output file from this filter and
"play it back", which can be used as a poor man's load testing tool.
I'm wondering, would something like that fit in with the JRS goals?

I also had plans for a much more robust version of what exists now that
records both requests *and* responses... the idea being that you could
run through an existing application, record all the interactions the
client had with the server, and then essentially "replace" the server
with a simple local mechanism (basically a simple class that acts as a
very simple web server) that took the place of the real server, sending
back the recorded response for a given recorded request... think of
having to demo a system where you don't want to risk the server not
being available, with this you could do so, albeit only with the
functions you had the forethought to record.  No need for a database, or
Web Service endpoint, since it just serves recorded HTTP responses,
everything "behind" those responses is simulated too.

If that fits in with this proposal, I'd offer to donate the existing
code from JWP as a start, and develop the new version here in
conjunction with anyone else interested.

Frank

[1] Java Web Parts project: http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net
[2] RequestRecorderFilter:
http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/javadocs/javawebparts/filter/RequestRecorderFilter.html