incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Podling Committer policy
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:04:59 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Getting back to my original comment, I don't see how the IPMC can
> meaningfully participate in a discussion or vote held on the PPMC
> private mailing list. I don't think it's reasonable for an IPMC member
> who is exercising oversight in the specific case of a new committer to
> be required to subscribe to the podling's private PPMC mailing list for
> this purpose.
>
> What might work is for the [DISCUSS] and [VOTE] of the candidate to be
> held simultaneously on the PPMC private mailing list and the IPMC
> private mailing list. All of both the IPMC and PPMC can fully
> participate in the process. Then, at the end of the [VOTE] it will be
> clear whether the vote passed.

Unfortunately I would probably then unsub from private@incubator due to
mail overload.

What we are dealing with here is how non-member IPMC members can carry
out their duties as IPMC members. Non member IPMC members are in the
minority, so we are dealing with a minority case.

So, we have two choices:
  1) Someone deploys a web interface to the list archives using
     a sufficiently sophisticated authentication scheme
  2) Whenever a non-member IPMC member wants to hear what is going on on
     a *-private@i.a.o list, they ask a member who will make a password
     protected zip of the list archive available to them.

At the moment, these are the options we have. Clearly 2) is more
painful, but easier to handle in the short term. I personally am open to
requests for list archives.

Regards, Upayavira