incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Check of project name for trademark issues
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 06:45:59 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Registration of Trademarks in itself are not very expensive, so Jayasoft could
> register it and donate it to the ASF, as an additional safe guard. However,
> ASF will not be able to 'protect' the mark and hence it might be lost in the
> future, but at least someone else can't cause us problem in the near to mid
> term.

Howso???  We are very vigorous in defending our marks and rely on all of
our contributors to point out when there is a violation.  The project
affected private@ list is the best place to start off, but followup to
prc@apache.org is also very worthwhile.

No - we haven't had to sue anyone, requesting violators just cease and
desist has worked very well for us, so far.

However we aren't likely to waste time/money fighting over a patent where
we clearly infringed in the first place, so registering Apache Illustrator
(to borrow your example) is sort of pointless.  We would be likely to lose
on ambiguity and similarity, so why fight such a battle?

Bill