incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: PPMC guidance on new committers
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:42:06 GMT
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>
>> I don't know all the communities around ASF, but what I have seen is
>> that the "acceptance"/"decline" happens after the public vote. Entries
>> to PMCs seems more like "private vote" -> accept/decline -> "welcome"
>> in the communities I know of.
>>
>> Mind you, my own opinion in the matter differs from how things are
>> done, for instance; IMHO either the vote is public OR private, and if
>> the latter then don't have the charade on the public list. That would
>> simplify things at Incubator as well.
>>
>>   1. [Discuss] on private@podling
>>   2. [Vote] on private@podling
>>   3. [Vote] on private@incubator
>>   4. [Accept/Decline] in private mail
>>   5. [Announce/Welcome] in public@podling
>
> +1

Ditto to everything above.  The 2 suggestions, we can point out the 3rd
bullet can be lazy concensus if 3 binding +1's were already cast in the
podling (by incubator PMC members) - that Vote essentially becomes a
Notice to the private@incubator list (for them to raise an objection if
absolutely necessary).  If 72 hours pass with no objection, we can call
them elected by the PMC votes on the podling list.

The other suggestion - you could renumber these based from 0, since the
[discuss] is the one completely optional thing in the list, and the
process of discussing different potential committers should be an ongoing
dialog on the podling's private list :)

Bill