incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Check of project name for trademark issues
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:05:10 GMT
On Tuesday 12 June 2007 14:45, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > Registration of Trademarks in itself are not very expensive, so Jayasoft
> > could register it and donate it to the ASF, as an additional safe guard.
> > However, ASF will not be able to 'protect' the mark and hence it might be
> > lost in the future, but at least someone else can't cause us problem in
> > the near to mid term.
>
> Howso???  We are very vigorous in defending our marks and rely on all of
> our contributors to point out when there is a violation.  The project
> affected private@ list is the best place to start off, but followup to
> prc@apache.org is also very worthwhile.

Well, "cease and desist" letters are just the precursor of "I'll sue you",
which ASF barely have the resources to do, unless some altruistic lawyer
would take upon him/her self to do so at no or very low cost...
So, someone who wants to destroy a ASF mark is very likely getting away with
it, because we don't have the financial resources available to protect it to
the extent possible under the law.

> No - we haven't had to sue anyone, requesting violators just cease and
> desist has worked very well for us, so far.

Yes, thanks to the same principle; Most people want to play nice. Most
infringements from us and others are based on ignorance, and hence when
pointed at it most (us included) will try to rectify.

> However we aren't likely to waste time/money fighting over a patent where
> we clearly infringed in the first place, so registering Apache Illustrator
> (to borrow your example) is sort of pointless.  We would be likely to lose
> on ambiguity and similarity, so why fight such a battle?

Patent? I assume you mean trademark... I wasn't speculating in registering a
Apache Illustrator (which I presume the USPTO would decline), but arrogantly
starting such project, for instance (my speculation based on)
because "Illustrator" is not a registered mark since it wasn't unique enough
for Adobe (or was it Aldus) to do so, and hence Adobe (in my hypothetical
example) would be upset... Perhaps a less harsh example should have been
created to illustrate...

Well, well...

Cheers
--