incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Check of project name for trademark issues
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:57:55 GMT
On Monday 11 June 2007 17:51, Xavier Hanin wrote:

> Any recommendation on how to use the uspto.gov search? Ivy is a common name
> and I get a lot of trademarks containing Ivy, but I don't know if they are
> relative to a software.

Good start is to look for "Ivy + Software". If you get hits on that, need to
look at the details, if not I think you should be fairly Ok. Google is also
good for these kinds of searches. Sometimes you will find that even though it
is not protected Trademark, we wouldn't want to step on someone's toes.

Also, large multinationals will protect their mark even if the business is
different. So if you know of any of those, then it is time to look for a new
name.

Finally, all the gray areas, gather the details and post to
legal-discuss@apache.org, and ask for advice.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer