incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branding Guide clarification (was Re: to brand or not to brand?)
Date Sun, 27 May 2007 09:56:01 GMT
On 5/26/07, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/26/07, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> > Do you have a suggestion as to how it should read?
>
> I would shift a bit within the sentences, so that the things that are
> permitted get their own section. something like the following:
>
> [...]
> A Podling and affiliated persons can issue press releases that
> reference the Podling, but cannot issue press releases with the
> specific intent of announcing the Podling. The ASF will not issue any
> press releases for any podling at this stage. However, the Public
> Relations Committee MUST review any press releases by affiliated
> organizations or groups to ensure they comply with these branding
> guidelines.

like the wording but not sure that this is quite right

by definition only the PRC can issue official press releases for
apache. so, if a podling wants a press release then they need to talk
to the PRC.

the main issue was with third parties issuing press releases on behalf
of the podling or pre-empting the decision making process at apache.
few PR departments seem to understand the open source space.

IMHO these issues could be solved just by asking that the apache PRC
has a chance to check all PR activity by third parties related to
podlings before it's public but the majority opinion at the time was
that stronger measures were needed.

> A Podling can conduct informal PR activities without having to go
> through the PRC. Examples of informal PR activities are media
> outreach, blog publicity, technical articles, etc. The article may use
> Apache <Podling> in such articles, provided the incubation status is
> mentioned: "Apache Foo, currently incubating at the Apache Software
> Foundation, can be used to bar the foo. In this article we will show
> how to use Foo to accelerate the development of bars and..."
> [...]

wording is fine

IMHO informal and unofficial PR is great - the main problem is
accuracy. accurate PR work sympathetic PR is no problem at all. apache
isn't good at PR and we have real issues correcting inaccurate PR
which is pushed by a professional department. the press tends to
believe corporations, not apache.

> Of course, I am very open to suggestions to make this better, shorter
> or completely different.
>
> > The prohibition is on 'formal' press releases surrounding the fact
> > that it incubated - but it's certainly okay to write articles and
> > stuff - just make sure that it says it's under incubation, blah, blah.
>
> That is what I figured. Thanks for the clarification.

+1

- robert