incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Yoav Shapira" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Arnuad Simon as committer for Qpid
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 23:59:38 GMT
Hey,

On 5/29/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> They've put the onus on the IPMC to oversee and conduct all incubating
> projects.  In practice, that means the IPMC puts their weight behind
> the PPMC members' decisions.  Practically speaking, unless something
> is horribly wrong with a proposal/decision, the mentors are going to
> vote with the majority of the PPMC members

That's not true.  Practically speaking, mentors may not have time to
review an issue that other PPMC members have had plenty of time to
review and vote upon.

More importantly, what's the point of having a PPMC and having its
non-mentors vote on anything, if their votes aren't counted?  I guess
it's a general question: if PPMC legally mean zilch, why have them at
all?

I always thought a main point of the Incubator was to teach incoming
committers how Apache works.  And a main point of how Apache works is
that all committers on a project have equal votes...

Yoav