incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Eelco Hillenius" <eelco.hillen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: counting downloads
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 02:11:40 GMT
> Unless they don't download it via your link, or they download more
> than once (getting copies on multiple machines?), or any number of
> other things that can throw your numbers off.  It's a losing battle
> for statistics that IMO aren't very useful anyway.  All download
> counts are good for is ego stroking, there are better ways to spend
> time and energy.

I agree with most of the comments here. But one thing download
statistic imho *are* useful for is measuring progress. Even if the
absolute numbers aren't useful, and trends are not reliable, it
definitively gives an idea of whether a project is gaining attention
or not.

Another thing is that even if statistics aren't reliable, people still
often want to have them. Matt Raible's talk on ApacheCon listed job
counts per framework on Dice for instance. Completely useless, but
people seem to love to hear it, even at Apache. Or there is my
publisher asking me for download statistics of the project I'm
involved in and using Amazon's ranking of a competing book to
'determine' the market potential for the topic.

Imho, it's enough to say that we/ Apache doesn't want to spend energy
on something that is technically hard or impossible and that in the
opinion of the people who have to support it serves little value.

Eelco