incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: Todo or not todo: cc'ing podling-private@ when sending message to private@
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 07:30:55 GMT
On May 21, 2007, at 1:55 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
> On May 20, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
>> In more general terms: is it considered good practise to CC both
>> parties with 'official' communication between the private@ and the
>> podling-private@?
>
> Generally, I'd say that it might be confusing. Perhaps better to
> forward messages of interest to the IPMC instead of copying them.
> That way, each group knows what the purpose of the message is.

What I like about CC-ing all [podling]-related messages that go to
private@ to [podling]-private@ is that it "shows how its done" and
increases awareness of all communication related to [podling] for the
people that will have to manage [podling] on their own after
graduation. What I dislike is the increase of mail traffic for the
people on private@ to digest (incubator PMC duty does come with a lot
of email burden).

In general, CCs among multiple private lists happen reasonably often
(for example, prc@ and private@<project>, board@ and
private@<project>, private@incubator and private@sponsor,
private@incubator and private-<project>@incubator) and I don't think
they're always bad thing. Perhaps they're good when you don't exactly
know the purpose of the message, or perhaps they're good for discussion.

I think we have just three simple rules that apply here:
   * don't CC a private list when there's a public list CC-ed, too
   * keep the amount of private email to an absolute minimum
     * even when private, keep "as public as possible"
   * use mailing lists only for their intended purpose(s)

Beyond that, it usually comes down to "use best judgement", and
there's no simple rules, just complex ones. For example
   * don't CC both board@ and members@ since all of board@ is on
members@
     * except that some board@ members read board@ better than they
read members@
     * except that isn't quite true, board@ may have a non-member PMC
chair on it sometimes
       * but we do move things anyway
         * too bad for that non-member PMC chair
           * so we mention it moves, and why
           * so we make non-member PMC chairs ASF members ASAP

/LSD