incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: PPMC guidance on new committers
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 08:19:35 GMT
Hi Bill,

On May 30, 2007, at 11:37 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>
>> o The podling's developer list, with notice posted to the Incubator
>> general list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the vote
>> email
>> with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the podling's
>> developer list. This is a good approach if you are sure of getting
>> the
>> required three +1 votes from incubator PMC members. It is
>> embarrassing
>> to have a public vote fail or take a very long time because not
>> enough
>> incubator PMC members vote and have to be solicited to vote for a
>> committer.
>
> I'm strongly against this.

I'm sorry I can't tell what you are against, even after reading the
following.

Are you suggesting that we should no ever recommend this as a
possible option?

Craig

> If you think it's to spare embarrassment, you missed the issue.
>
> The issue is that it is unnecessarily hostile and confrontational
> to have
> to reject a committer on a public list.

That's why I included "This is a good approach if you are
<strong>sure</strong> of getting the
required three +1 votes from incubator PMC members".

Are you suggesting that this approach is never good?

Regards,

Craig