incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 22:42:57 GMT
[X ] use standard repositories
[ ] relocate repositories under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator

On May 6, 2007, at 4:57 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> incubator distributions need to be stored under /www/www.apache.org/
> dist
>
> AFACT there are two reasonable options: either create repositories
> under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator or use the standard maven ones

When you talk about "repositories" it makes me very nervous. Maven
does not do a good job with multiple repositories. [If you have a
single SNAPSHOT dependency, maven searches through every repository
looking for each SNAPSHOT at least once per day and if the repository
is not extremely responsive, you end up wasting a lot of time.]

So if we choose for special incubator repositories, I'd have to vote
in favor of a single incubator repository not multiple repositories.

But having read all of the other responses as of right now, I don't
see any issues with using the standard maven repository for
publishing incubating project release artifacts. The releases are
official incubating artifacts that have been through release
clearance and as long as they are correctly identified with "-
incubating" in their [version id, artifact id, or group id], IMHO no
one will be confused about the status of the artifact.

And whether to put "-incubating" into the group id, artifact id, or
version id, I'd leave that decision up to the project. My own
preference is in the version id, but I can see reasons for projects
preferring the "-incubating" flag in any of the maven name locations.

Craig