incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [suggestion] making documentation management more lightweight
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 20:58:42 GMT
On May 5, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Michael Wechner wrote:
> what about a CMS with a workflow, which would sit on top SVN
> accessing both branches (staging resp. draft and live) and hence
> would allow devs still accessing it through other SVN clients and
> also allow updating the live site as static SVN update?

Ah, that's an old subject! Several people have done prototypes along
these lines (I've done about one and a half in python, but in python
the most promising codebase is probably (still) SubWiki), and I'll
argue something like this ("edit this page" links backed by
subversion) is what we "really really want". Mozilla has (or had) it
for their site.

site-dev@apache.org was set up with this in mind, ages ago, and
there's still some requirements/designs lying around for how it would
work. David Crossley is a good person to ask about it.

I think one of the problems why this effort has stalled has been that
apache has so many CMS or CMS-ish tools that it is really hard to
come up with a common way to do things that satisfies enough people
to make setting it up worthwhile, so you get into loads of arguing.

> We have implemented versioning and workflow into Yulup (http://
> www.yulup.org), which is available within the recent trunk version
> or next week's release. Yulup does decouple this functionality from
> the actual server implementation.
>
> I would be happy to help to set something up in case this would
> make sense for the incubator folks.

I'd rather not see a tool like this for a project-specific setup --
anything that writes to SVN needs to be very carefully evaluated for
security and stability reasons and be maintained and supported by
infrastructure@. If you're interested in signing up for the "bigger
job", please work with site-dev@ (and infrastructure@).

I can tell you right now that something "off of trunk" of a non-
Apache project that's in a 0.x release series, doesn't document how
it uses SVN, and is licensed under the GPL is not that likely to
receive a warm welcome immediately. "I could set something up" will
also probably receive a healthy amount of scepticism; I wrote a blog
post about why that is ages ago:

    http://www.jroller.com/page/lsd/20050717#why_we_say_no_to

all that said, don't let me discourage you (too much)! We could
definitely use this, but you'll have to volunteer for (quite) a bit
more work and get some others to help out ;-)

cheers,

Leo