incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 16:26:03 GMT

On 6 May 07, at 11:11 AM 6 May 07, Shane Isbell wrote:

> [ ] use standard repositories
> [ x ] relocate repositories under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator
>
> My reasons are as follows: First, NMaven does not follow the
> standard repo
> layout; second, the repository layout structure is still in a state
> of flux,
> meaning that there is a need for potentially changing the layout
> for .NET
> artifacts, while still doing releases.

Not sure where you're getting the idea the layout may change. We've
already had this discussion with .Net folks and the standard
directory structure for the remote repositories is not changing. The
problem is with the .Net linker and can be worked around with
plugins. At least for the Java side of things the version in the JAR
is never coming off the file name.

If you're referring to something specific proposed for NMaven and a
different repository that's one thing, but the structure as it is
used currently is not in flux. Not sure where you picked up that notion.

At any rate the .Net artifacts can go somewhere else until we figure
it out and doesn't affect everyone else trying to deploy.

We can make a separate repo until the problems are sorted out with .Net.

> Getting more into some more specifics, with NMaven, there is no
> version
> information contained within the artifact file name and the version
> must
> follow a standard 0.0.0.0 format. This precludes the use of
> "incubator"
> within the version itself. As mentioned above, at this early stage,
> it's
> also not 100% clear on exactly how NMaven .NET artifacts will
> reside within
> the repo. For instance, there is an open question as to where pom
> files will
> reside when we add the concept of classifiers to the repo. Also,
> given the
> repository layout structure for NET artifacts may change over time,
> as the
> incubator project evolves, I have concerns whether any of the
> standard maven
> repos would accept - and with good reason - an NMaven incubator
> release at
> all. I would expect that an incubator release repo would be more
> amendable
> to such changes.
>
> Shane
>
> On 5/6/07, Eelco Hillenius <eelco.hillenius@gmail.com> wrote: