incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Change "Mentor" to "Mentors" in Incubator Policy
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 18:08:43 GMT
Hi Ted,

On May 22, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Ted Husted wrote:

> At one point, we had people becoming members of the Incubator PMC by
> virtue of being a Mentor or by virtue of a vote of the Incubator PMC.
> Did that change? This language implies that the Mentors must be
> pre-existing members of the Incubator PMC.

This is the current consensus of the IPMC as I understand it.

> Is there a reason why we are saying "chosen by the Sponsor".

This is the language in the original Policy and I didn't change it.

> In
> practice, candidates often troll for Mentors in order to complete the
> proposal,  the Sponsor affirms the proposal drafted by the Candidate,
> which includes naming the Mentor or Mentors..

No matter how it arrived at, the proposal to the incubator includes
the Mentors, and by that time they have been chosen by the Sponsor.

> The language about reporting to the Sponsor makes it sound like there
> are two types of status reports. Why not just suggest CC'ing any
> status reports to the Sponsor's mailing list.

Can we defer this discussion? I'd certainly agree that the Mentor's
report to the Incubator could be copied to the Sponsor's mailing
list. And this is in the Process document so it can easily be changed
after the current proposal is implemented.

Craig