incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: counting downloads
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 01:45:24 GMT
On 5/5/07, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> One confusion I have: If we count "clicks" on the download link, it
> seems that even if that link led to a "mirror" page, it would count
> pretty accurately (except of course if a person clicked to download, and
> then didn't bother going through with it).  I guess it would also miss
> the case where people somehow found their way to a download mirror
> *without* going through the project download page.  Did I miss
> something, or would this give a "reasonable" estimate of downloads?

Unless they don't download it via your link, or they download more
than once (getting copies on multiple machines?), or any number of
other things that can throw your numbers off.  It's a losing battle
for statistics that IMO aren't very useful anyway.  All download
counts are good for is ego stroking, there are better ways to spend
time and energy.

-garrett