incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Garrett Rooney" <roo...@electricjellyfish.net>
Subject Re: counting downloads
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 22:43:08 GMT
On 5/2/07, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> We're curious to see how many downloads we're getting, perhaps sorted by
> ip number or who's downloading (I realize that would need be
> "volunteered" information).
> Do other projects have a good way to track this? I know we could pull
> the logs for the p.a.o webserver and grep through them looking for
> things, but I'm wondering if there's something we can put on our
> download page that users would click on that would count things?

The mirror system makes this an essentially unsolvable problem.  Not
to mention the fact that you have no clue if people are actually
getting the code from one of our mirrors at all, they could get it
from a linux distribution, or any number of other repackagers.  On top
of that, you can't correlate back to an individual person, so you
don't know if you're getting one guy downloading it more than once
because he's accidentally deleted it...

Get used to the idea that counting downloads is an inherently poor way
to judge if your software is being used.  More interesting metrics
might be numbers of posts on mailing lists, bugs filed, etc.

-garrett