incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: PPMC guidance on new committers
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 05:56:37 GMT
Here's what I'd like to do with the ppmc guide. Change:
Voting in a new committer

If a developer has contributed a significant number of high-quality
patches, is interested in continuing the contribution, and has
demonstrated the ability to work well with others under the Apache
guidelines, the project might vote to grant that developer commit
access. See the ASF How it Works document, which explains meritocracy
and roles.

Discussion of a potential new committer should take place on the
podling project's private list; normally it would take place on a
project's private list. After vetting the new candidate, the vote can
be called on either one of the two places listed below (notice the
balance between private and public lists):

The podling's private list, with notice posted to the Incubator
private list.
The developer list, with notice posted to the Incubator general list.
The practice of a private discussion followed by a public, pro-forma,
vote is re-emerging as a Best Practice for ASF projects (see this
comprehensive discussion about these practices).

Only votes cast by Incubator PMC members are binding. If the vote is
positive, and the contributor accepts the responsibility of a
committer for the project, the contributor formally becomes an Apache
committer. An Incubator PMC member should then follow the documented
procedures to complete the process, and CC both the Incubator PMC and
the PPMC when sending the necessary e-mails to root.

Please direct the new committer to the Apache developer's pages, to
the Apache Incubator site and to the Incubator Committers Guide for
important additional information.

to:

Voting in a new committer

If a developer has contributed a significant number of high-quality
patches, is interested in continuing the contribution, and has
demonstrated the ability to work well with others under the Apache
guidelines, the project might vote to grant that developer commit
access. See the ASF How it Works document, which explains meritocracy
and roles.

One of the PPMC members should lead the process of accepting a new
committer. For the purposes of this document, the proposing PPMC
member is referred to as the proposer, and the proposed committer is
referred to as the nominee. Discussion of a nominee should take place
on the podling project's private (PPMC) list [normally it would take
place on a project's private list]. If there are any concerns raised
during the discussion, these need to be resolved so that there is
consensus among the PPMC members as to the suitability of the nominee
for the project and for Apache. After vetting the nominee, the vote
can be called on either one of the two places listed below (notice
the balance between private and public lists):

o The podling's private list, with notice posted to the Incubator
private list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the vote
email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
podling's private list. This is a good approach if you are not sure
of getting the required three +1 votes from incubator PMC members on
the first vote. After completing the vote on the PPMC list, if there
are not three +1 votes from incubator PMC members, the proposer
should call a vote on the incubator PMC private list with a reference
to the archived discussion and vote by the PPMC.

o The podling's developer list, with notice posted to the Incubator
general list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the vote
email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
podling's developer list. This is a good approach if you are sure of
getting the required three +1 votes from incubator PMC members. It is
embarrassing to have a public vote fail or take a very long time
because not enough incubator PMC members vote and have to be
solicited to vote for a committer.
Only votes cast by Incubator PMC members are binding. If the vote is
positive (three or more binding +1 votes and no binding -1 votes),
the proposer offers committership to the nominee. If the nominee
accepts the responsibility of a committer for the project, the
nominee formally becomes an Apache committer. The proposer then asks
an Incubator PMC member to follow the documented procedures to
complete the process.

If the nominee is already an Apache committer on another project, the
proposer asks the incubator PMC chair to update the authorization
file to include the nominee as a committer on the podling. If the
nominee is not already an Apache committer, the incubator PMC member
CC's both the Incubator PMC and the PPMC when sending the necessary e-
mails to root. Normally, the incubator PMC member is a Mentor on the
podling's PPMC but due to unavailability, the proposer can ask any
incubator PMC member.

The proposer then directs the new committer to the Apache developer's
pages, to the Apache Incubator site, and to the Incubator Committers
Guide for important additional information.

Craig