incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository
Date Tue, 08 May 2007 15:47:50 GMT
On 5/7/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Xavier Hanin wrote:
> > On 5/6/07, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> This is already a concern for existing projects coming from outside
> >> Apache. It is completely and easily possible to become dependent on
> >> both org.apache.wicket/wicket-1.3.0-incubating-beta1.jar and
> >> wicket/wicket-1.2.6.jar
> > I agree, but why add one more possible confusion for your users, and
> > one more possible case for this kind of conflict? I think using only a
> > tag in the version (as you have done for your 1.3 beta 1 version) is
> > enough and less confusing.
>
> I disagree in part, incubating needs to preceed a version number because
> it's in descending significance (subversion .0 is less significant that
> version-major 1).  So either incubating-wicket-1.3.0-beta1 or else use
> wicket-incubating-1.3.0-beta - the later is more readable to me.
I agree with your logic, but putting the 'incubating' as a version
suffix makes the use easier from a dependency management tool: you can
depend on version 1.3+ for instance, and get an automatic transition
at graduation (if we assume the project graduates before the final 1.3
release, which is what I hope for wicket :-)).

Xavier

> I agree there is no reason to force org.apache.incubating.wicket. to be
> renamed after graduation to org.apache.wicket.  I can't envision where
> another project will 'adopt' the o.a.wicket. space if it failed to
> graduate, and that they wouldn't be watching the providence of o.a.wicket
> if they choose to.  I think it's a disservice to our podling's community
> of early adopters/testers/documentors/coders.
>
> Bill
>

> .

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/