incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 14:38:16 GMT
On 5/6/07, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/07, Daniel Kulp <daniel.kulp@iona.com> wrote:
> > I disagree with setting the groupId to org.apache.incubator.<podling>.
> > I greatly prefer requiring a version string that includes either
> > incubator or incubating.    (ex: 2.0-incubator,  1.3-incubating, etc..)
> >
> > Putting it in the group ID causes a MUCH larger set of headaches for both
> > the project itself as well as all dependent projects upon graduation.
> > You can also end up with two jars on the classpath with the same code in
> > it, just different versions.
>
> This is already a concern for existing projects coming from outside
> Apache. It is completely and easily possible to become dependent on
> both org.apache.wicket/wicket-1.3.0-incubating-beta1.jar and
> wicket/wicket-1.2.6.jar
I agree, but why add one more possible confusion for your users, and
one more possible case for this kind of conflict? I think using only a
tag in the version (as you have done for your 1.3 beta 1 version) is
enough and less confusing.

Xavier

> Only _not_ depending on podling releases will prevent this for
> depending projects.
>
> Martijn
>
> --
> Learn Wicket at ApacheCon Europe: http://apachecon.com
> Join the wicket community at irc.freenode.net: ##wicket
> Wicket 1.2.6 contains a very important fix. Download Wicket now!
> http://wicketframework.org

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/