incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Incubator Maven Repository
Date Mon, 07 May 2007 09:27:24 GMT
On May 6, 2007, at 1:57 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> incubator distributions need to be stored under /www/www.apache.org/
> dist
>
> AFACT there are two reasonable options: either create repositories
> under /www.apache.org/dist/incubator or use the standard maven ones

I don't understand the question, but I think the answer can be deduced
from this:

   Any [1] artifact that is released by The Apache Software
Foundation MUST
   have http://www.apache.org/dist/ as its primary download location
and it
   MUST follow all the central infrastructure guidelines (eg, mirroring,
   signing) that exist for that location.

Similarly

   Any artifact that does NOT come from http://www.apache.org/dist/
is NOT
   an official release by The Apache Software Foundation, though it
may be
   a redistribution of such a release, which users are encouraged to
verify
   using PGP signature files and/or SHA1 digest files retrieved from
   http://www.apache.org/dist/. The ASF welcomes and appreciates
   redistribution of its existing artifacts.

I think the above essentially captures what came out of the 500-mail-
or-so
discussion and vote that we had recently.

IOW it is all fine and dandy if files go all across the globe (or apache
servers) as long as they're redistributed from /dist/ somehow. My
favorite
change was when the ibiblio maven repo was set up to auto-sync from /
dist/
(no idea if it still works that way).

That loads of users find it quite alright to ignore checksums and
signature
sanity and just get things out of badly policied repositories (note: I'm
not saying the maven repos are badly policied, I think there's a lot
of due
dilligence going on there, but that wasn't always the case), is well,
not
part of our own policies.

cheers,

- Leo

[1] this is a recent change from how incubator has done this for a few
     years, where we made an exception to this rule for artifacts
from the
     incubator.