incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: AWOL Mentors? (was: BOF Summary)
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 19:53:02 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2007 04:04, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> how many mentors do we have, who should they be, and what is it they do?
>> Yes - this is pretty well spelled out, but it comes up again.  Can we
>> expect a certain level of activity/response from them?  Should we ask
>> for new mentors when ours go AWOL?
>
> I find this to be an interesting tidbit (yeah, I just got back from my long
> trip in Europe...)
>
> How does one know that the Mentor(s) go AWOL??
> Since there is no 'heart beat', podlings could tag along quite a while without
> knowing that there is no oversight. Of course this is more prevalent in
> projects with one Mentor than those who has 3, but still...
>
> Should we perhaps require Mentors to ACK ("Yes, this looks accurate.") the
> monthly/quarterly reports, and failure to do so mean the Mentor is AWOL??

That seems quite rational to me.  Even if they ack things late (as in, we
find a tag to update the report-after-the-report has been filed.  This would
already help me answer jukka's query about stdcxx that this situation he'd
identified has been acknowledged and is being addressed.)  Better late than
silent?

I don't think anyone expects the same level of involvement for all 3x or more
of a projects' mentors.  But adding 'another mentor' just to have three names
does a disservice to the podling.

The only ones who really can identify an absent (as opposed to a quiet) mentor
are the other mentors.  New podlings don't have any idea of how much feedback
they should expect from their mentors.  (Next to none, when everything is
humming along splendidly :)  But I think as mentors, we know.

So what's the threshold?  If I know a fellow mentor has gone AWOL, should I
bring this up with them after a month of silence?  Three months?  We should
definitely, as mentors, ping each other privately first with a 'what's up?'
before bringing an issue to the incubator PMC.  But let's just say things
stay silent, the mentor doesn't respond to that ping, doesn't indicate that
they want to step down on their own.  How soon to bring things up with the
incubator PMC?

All chewy stuff to munch on a while, I don't think there are clear one-size
fits-all solutions to this issue.  Thoughts?

Bill