incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mll...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: making project decisions with a small number of PMC members
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 22:47:23 GMT
If I am not mistaken there is no relationship with the sponsoring PMC, which in my view needs
change (as you indirectly point out).

There are a couple of things :

1) The incubated project doesn't even need to know about the sponsoring project
2) The sponsoring project doesn't even have to know about the project being sponsored (even
as VP I
was at one point unaware that Jakarta was sponsoring a project in the Incubator)
3) A big bang integration after a project ends up in the sponsoring project, isn't a good
start and
there probable needs to be a closer defined relationship between the two. Should people on
the IPMC
also be on the sponsoring PMC ? (assuming the PMC != committers)
4) To give an example : is Brett (in his role of being a mentor) representing the Maven PMC
or on a
"personal" basis and is there or should there be a difference between the 2 ?
5) What's the use of having a vote on sponsoring a project in the Incubator if no one is
volunteering to represent the sponsoring project ?

Sorry for hijacking your question :)

Lot's of questions, no time for answers (yet) :)

Mvgr,
Martin