incubator-general mailing list archives

From Siegfried Goeschl <>
Subject [Fwd: Request for Comments - Pnuts as Incubator Project?!]
Date Wed, 09 May 2007 14:03:43 GMT
As Yoav Shapira pointed out this is the right place to go ...  :-)

Siegfried Goeschl

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Request for Comments - Pnuts  as Incubator Project?!
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 11:55:06 +0200
From: Siegfried Goeschl <>

Hi folks,

since I'm basically an ASF newbie I would like to ask for some feedback
if you would think pnuts as suitable candidate for an incubator project.

Your feedback would help me a lot convincing the pnuts community to move
over to Apache.

Siegfried Goeschl

What is pnuts?

pnuts is a JVM based scripting language comparable to Groovy with
excellent documentation, a much too small community, absolutely no hype
and mainly written by Toyokazu Tomatsu.

A quick overview of the language can be found here

Why I like pnuts ...

I have a special interest in JVM based scripting languages since the
have two very useful aspects. You can write a script using your
favourite libraries such as commons-email or Velocity and you can embedd
such a scripting language into your java application.

So over the years I worked with many JVM-based scripting languages such
as JavaScript, Bean Shell, Groovy, JACL and of course pnuts. IMO pnuts
makes a good compromise regarding scripting power, extensibility,
performance, memory consumption and user experience.

And it has an awesome documentation and mature implementation ...

What can be improved ...

+) pnuts is perfectly hidden within
+) do some better marketing to make pnuts more visible in the public
+) expand the community and developer base
+) of course changing the licence from SPL to Apache

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message