incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: counting downloads
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 01:39:10 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>

>> The mirror system makes this an essentially unsolvable problem.
>>

> And in addition to all of your other valid points, there is the problem of
> having a a farm of caching proxies on the ISP side of the net, leading to
> the seemingly odd case that the more popular a download, the less likely you
> are to get a good count, because the more likely it is to be served from the
> caching proxies.
> 	--- Noel

One confusion I have: If we count "clicks" on the download link, it
seems that even if that link led to a "mirror" page, it would count
pretty accurately (except of course if a person clicked to download, and
then didn't bother going through with it).  I guess it would also miss
the case where people somehow found their way to a download mirror
*without* going through the project download page.  Did I miss
something, or would this give a "reasonable" estimate of downloads?

-Marshall