incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: [suggestion] making documentation management more lightweight
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 20:54:22 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> On May 5, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> what about a CMS with a workflow, which would sit on top SVN
>> accessing both branches (staging resp. draft and live) and hence
>> would allow devs still accessing it through other SVN clients and
>> also allow updating the live site as static SVN update?
>

> Ah, that's an old subject! Several people have done prototypes along
> these lines (I've done about one and a half in python, but in python
> the most promising codebase is probably (still) SubWiki), and I'll
> argue something like this ("edit this page" links backed by
> subversion) is what we "really really want". Mozilla has (or had) it
> for their site.
>
> site-dev@apache.org was set up with this in mind, ages ago, and
> there's still some requirements/designs lying around for how it would
> work. David Crossley is a good person to ask about it.
>
> I think one of the problems why this effort has stalled has been that
> apache has so many CMS or CMS-ish tools that it is really hard to
> come up with a common way to do things that satisfies enough people
> to make setting it up worthwhile, so you get into loads of arguing.

well, it seems to me that SVN is the common denominator at the ASF and
only a tool
which is able to connect to SVN will satisfy enough people within the
ASF. That's one of the reasons I have spent time how a CMS can use SVN
as a data repo.

>> We have implemented versioning and workflow into Yulup (http://
>> www.yulup.org), which is available within the recent trunk version
>> or next week's release. Yulup does decouple this functionality from
>> the actual server implementation.
>>
>> I would be happy to help to set something up in case this would  make
>> sense for the incubator folks.
>

> I'd rather not see a tool like this for a project-specific setup --
> anything that writes to SVN needs to be very carefully evaluated for
> security and stability reasons and be maintained and supported by
> infrastructure@.

I understand, but I would assume writing to draft/staging SVN on a
dedicated zone would be less an issue and then allow dedicated people to
merge from there into the "live SVN" as you describe it above.

> If you're interested in signing up for the "bigger  job", please work
> with site-dev@ (and infrastructure@).
>
> I can tell you right now that something "off of trunk" of a non-
> Apache project that's in a 0.x release series, doesn't document how
> it uses SVN, and is licensed under the GPL is not that likely to
> receive a warm welcome immediately. "I could set something up" will
> also probably receive a healthy amount of scepticism; I wrote a blog
> post about why that is ages ago:
>
>    http://www.jroller.com/page/lsd/20050717#why_we_say_no_to
>
> all that said, don't let me discourage you (too much)! We could
> definitely use this, but you'll have to volunteer for (quite) a bit
> more work and get some others to help out ;-)

I very well understand what you are saying ;-) and I don't want to
impose anything, but I believe that I finally have the tools at hand to
do this and I am currently working on this for my own needs. Hence I
wanted to ask and see how big the skepticism is and I don't mean this
cynical, but just would like to be constructive.

Anyway I will start with http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html
and will see how far I will get and will hopefully come back within
reasonable time :-)

Cheers

Michael

> cheers,