incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: [suggestion] making documentation management more lightweight
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 17:55:34 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Jo!
>
> The whole jira-patch-commit workflow for the documentation seems
> annoying. At least it annoys me -- in particular the patches don't
> show up in my email so I have to visit jira which I try and avoid as
> much as possible :-).
>
> Suggestions:
>
> 1) create
>
>    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/staging
>
>    writeable by *all* committers
>
>    svn cp http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk \
>        http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/staging
>    vi infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/asf-authorization
>    svn commit infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/asf-
> authorization
>
> 2) create an svn:externals on
>
>       http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-
> publish
>
>    like this
>
>      website-staging http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
> public/staging/site-publish
>
>    so that you can see the work-in-progress at
>
>      http://incubator.apache.org/website-staging/
>
> 3) instead of sending documentation patches, people who are helping
>    with the documentation work on the staging branch
>
> 4) set up svnmerge.py for staging/ and trunk/
>    * see http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py
>    * make sure to block the revision from step #2!
>
> 5) propose documentation changes on the mailing list
>    * get diffs
>
>      cd incubator/trunk
>      svnmerge.py --bidirectional diff > ~/staging-diffs.txt
>      # or use -r to get only a few revisions
>
>    * send diff to mailing list for discussion and lazy
>      consensus approval
>
> 6) merge
>
>    cd incubator/trunk
>    svnmerge.py --bidirectional avail
>    svnmerge.py --bidirectional # or use -r12345,...
>    svn commit -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt
>    cd ../staging
>    svnmerge.py
>    svn commit -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt
>
> 7) rejoice at the lightweight workflow, which also survives Robert's
>    laptop sinking to the bottom of the sea!

what about a CMS with a workflow, which would sit on top SVN accessing
both branches (staging resp. draft and live) and hence would
allow devs still accessing it through other SVN clients and also allow
updating
the live site as static SVN update?

We have implemented versioning and workflow into Yulup
(http://www.yulup.org), which is available within the recent trunk
version or next week's release. Yulup does decouple this functionality
from the actual server implementation.

I would be happy to help to set something up in case this would make
sense for the incubator folks.

Cheers

Michael

> cheers,