incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject [suggestion] making documentation management more lightweight
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 15:10:40 GMT
Jo!

The whole jira-patch-commit workflow for the documentation seems
annoying. At least it annoys me -- in particular the patches don't
show up in my email so I have to visit jira which I try and avoid as
much as possible :-).

Suggestions:

1) create

    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/staging

    writeable by *all* committers

    svn cp http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk \
        http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/staging
    vi infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/asf-authorization
    svn commit infrastructure/trunk/subversion/authorization/asf-
authorization

2) create an svn:externals on

       http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-
publish

    like this

      website-staging http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/
public/staging/site-publish

    so that you can see the work-in-progress at

      http://incubator.apache.org/website-staging/

3) instead of sending documentation patches, people who are helping
    with the documentation work on the staging branch

4) set up svnmerge.py for staging/ and trunk/
    * see http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/Svnmerge.py
    * make sure to block the revision from step #2!

5) propose documentation changes on the mailing list
    * get diffs

      cd incubator/trunk
      svnmerge.py --bidirectional diff > ~/staging-diffs.txt
      # or use -r to get only a few revisions

    * send diff to mailing list for discussion and lazy
      consensus approval

6) merge

    cd incubator/trunk
    svnmerge.py --bidirectional avail
    svnmerge.py --bidirectional # or use -r12345,...
    svn commit -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt
    cd ../staging
    svnmerge.py
    svn commit -F svnmerge-commit-message.txt

7) rejoice at the lightweight workflow, which also survives Robert's
    laptop sinking to the bottom of the sea!

cheers,

Leo