incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: PPMC guidance on new committers
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 18:03:05 GMT

On May 30, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Craig Russell wrote:
>
>> I'd like to open the discussion on the "best practice" referred to by
>> the guides/ppmc because I'm not convinced that best practice for a
>> TLP is best practice for the incubator.
>
>> Personally, if I saw a vote on the incubator private PMC list for a
>> new committer on a podling, including references to the PPMC
>> discussion and vote, I would be inclined to vote for that committer.
>
>> On the other hand, if I saw a vote on the incubator private PMC list
>> that just offered the usual so-and-so is a great contributor, I'd
>> have no real way to see if the PPMC was really learning its job.
>
> This is mostly a limitation of being a non-ASF Member.  ASF Members
> have
> access to all of the mailing list archives, including private lists.

Actually, as an incubator pmc member, I don't necessarily want to
mine the archives. I want to see that the PPMC members have expressed
their opinions on the candidates.

>> So IMHO, best practice for podlings is to hold a [DISCUSS] Joe Bleau
>> for committer on the PPMC private list, followed by a [VOTE] on the
>> PPMC private list, and then a formal [VOTE] on the private incubator
>> PMC list with references to the discussion and vote of the PPMC.
>
>> Alternatively, hold a [DISCUSS] Joe Bleau for committer on the PPMC
>> private list, followed by a [VOTE] on the dev list, and then a formal
>> [VOTE] on the incubator list with references to the discussion and
>> vote of the community.
>
> The only difference being the formal vote being on the open list,
> right?

Right.

> Do you expect people to vote -1 in public, or do you expect the
> PPMC not
> to hold the vote at all if people express negative views?

I expect that during the [DISCUSS] part of the process, if anyone
expresses concerns about the suitability of the candidate, then these
concerns should be thoroughly resolved before further action is
taken. So in this scenario, no one ever has to vote -1 in public.

> And do you want
> negative views about a Committer to be maintained in perpetuity
> around the
> Internet?  I've certainly seen that raised as a concern,
> particularly as
> more and more employers mine the Internet for information about
> potential
> employees.

I share that concern. If serious objections are raised during
[DISCUSSION] then the PPMC member proposing the candidate needs to
either resolve the objections or wait some time before trying to
propose the candidate again. Either way avoids embarrassment.

Craig

> 	--- Noel

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com