incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Ivy podling alpha release (was: discussion of release of Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-alpha)
Date Sat, 14 Apr 2007 10:53:16 GMT

> ...in the Ivy podling we are currently preparing a release, which I hope
> we'll be soon able to submit to the IPMC vote. We've called this release
> 2.0.0-alpha-1-incubating, since for us too it's primarily a release made to
> validate our release process and the legal part. We don't intend to promote
> the use of this release, since things will still change until the
> 2.0release, and we haven't done much testing and validation. But we
> will
> however make the release public, with ad hoc disclaimer about its state...

Sounds fine.

> ...According to what I read on this thread, I'm a little bit lost to know if we
> can continue on this way or if we should make a more stable release...

No need to wait, I don't think an alpha release where technical things
are still in flux is a problem, as long as it's legally clean enough
to be approved.

What's good IMHO is to try to get things as clean as possible (w.r.t
legal issues and the related files and headers) before asking the IPMC
to vote, to save our collective bandwidth.

With the number of currently incubating projects, we seem to have a
hard time keeping up with the work needed to approve releases, so
doing as much work as possible within the podling before coming here
certainly helps.

Also, having your mentors vote early when the vote thread appears here
helps, as it's a good sign for those who are not following your
project closely.

HTH,
-Bertrand

-Bertrand