incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ratify the release of Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-alpha
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 22:11:40 GMT
On 3/30/07, Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> However, in light of our incubation progress we feel the urge to get
> confirmation that we resolved our legal issues and are able to come
> together and build a release. We kindly request the Incubator PMC to
> approve this release.

questions
------------
The library for dragging the AJAX debug dialog has the following
notice: "distributed under commons creative license 2.0" - this is
potentially problematic since it's a family of licenses some of which
are open source compatible, some of which are not. what are the
details?

major issues
---------------

niclas already noted the missing headers from threadtest (major due to
number and copyright)

DISCLAIMER but is missing LICENSE and NOTICE from:
 * wicket-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar
 * wicket-auth-roles-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar
 * wicket-datetime-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar
 * wicket-examples-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar
 * wicket-extensions-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar
 * wicket-jmx-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar
 * wicket-objectsizeof-agent-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar
 * wicket-spring-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar
 * wicket-spring-annot-1.3.0-incubating-alpha-javadoc.jar

(all artifacts MUST have LICENSE and NOTICE)

minor issues
---------------

(more judgement calls these ones)

src/release.sh looks to me like it's creative enough to need a header

IMHO many of the examples in src/main/java/wicket/examples are
creative enough to deserve a license header. it's reasonably common
for people to derive works from examples so licensing is important.

comments
------------

in general the MANIFEST.MF could be improved: missing the attributes
recommended by sun. not particularly important (adhering to the
standard doesn't really do any tangible good) but looks professional
and easy to do with maven.

i'd recommend creating release notes (but i hope that these are
missing since this is only an audit release). usual comments about
using the same content for announcements to appropriate mailing lists
(announcements@apache.org is on topic but remember to subscribe first;
best practice to sign these announcements) and download link page.

BTW i see the current namespace is http://wicket.sourceforge.net/. do
you plan to change this upon (sometime)?

- robert