incubator-general mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FtpServer mentor/commiter shortage
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:47:50 GMT
On 4/4/07, Niklas Gustavsson <niklas@protocol7.com> wrote:
> Yoav Shapira wrote:
> >> On 4/4/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> >> I strongly think that Tomcat is your best ally here - in the same way
> >> that
>
> > Niklas, speaking with my Tomcat hat on, you're definitely welcome to
> > join the dev@tomcat.a.o mailing list and bounce your thoughts off the
> > Tomcat team.  I'm not sure if any existing committers would be
> > particularly interested, but you might at least get some constructive
> > discussions around your ideas.  We've been adding more connectors
> > (heck, we've got like four connectors just for HTTP/1.1 already), so
> > if you've got an FTP connector that fits the Tomcat Connector API,
> > that could be sweet.
>
> This is a great idea! I will start playing around with the Tomcat APIs
> to see how to best fit FtpServer into it. I'll also join the dev list
> and when I feel more comfortable with the APIs start a discussion.

IMHO IIRC J2EE integration with ftp hasn't really been done and there
are some times when ftp is a more convenient protocol than http

example use case: allowing big files to be uploaded via ftp as well as
http in an issue tracking system coded in java running in tomcat

tomcat sounds very cool

there might also be some interest from the geronimo plugin community
for a pluggable FTP server

not sure whether FTP is covered by ServiceBus but that's another
possible area of integration

- robert