incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Eelco Hillenius" <eelco.hillen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: discussion of release of Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-alpha
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 23:34:31 GMT
> I have a hard time understanding how a podling can consider itself
> ready for graduation without having anything worth sharing, and don't
> understand what the point is of having an audit of anything short of
> a build artifact.

Yes, that would be strange :) However, in the case of Wicket, we are
talking about a development branch that is intensively being worked on
by several people. We have a stable release (1.2) out on sourceforge,
but the development release (1.3) is for Apache. Several developers
and quite a few users are using the development branch for their
systems (including production sites), so the code is ready for use
alright. However, we have a couple of API breaking features to be
implemented and we like to have them resolved before we put out
official releases for users. At the same time, we are trying to go
ahead with incubation. For that, we're mostly concerned about having a
repeatable build process with checks etc to ensure it produces
releases that are acceptable for ASF. As we understand it, we submit
builds here to be audited on legal aspects and procedure, not so much
end-user functionality.

Regards,

Eelco