incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Gwyn Evans" <gwyn.ev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ratify the release of Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-alpha
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 13:40:19 GMT
On 04/04/07, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3/31/07, Eelco Hillenius <eelco.hillenius@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >.../src/testing/wicket-threadtest/src/main/java/wicket/threadtest/App2Test1.java
> >
> > Ai! A sandbox project that slipped our attention I'm afraid. Thanks
> > for finding it. I fixed it and added our unit test for header files to
> > that project.
>
> If there have been changes since the release was cut, a new release
> must IMHO be created, so that people can vote (on the wicket lists
> first, and then come back here) on the correct one.

Yes, I believe that's understood, but in the same way that a compiler
that stops at the first error can be wasteful, there's no reason to
that the release candidate should be pulled immediately from the disk
if there's a chance we might get valuable feedback from it.

> Also, I'm not too convinced of the "release that is not meant for
> public consumption" thing - according to the ASF's definition,
> binaries do not constitute a release unless they're meant for public
> consumption.

Frankly, that's not the impression given here in the past.  I quote
from the "OFBiz Test Snapshot Release: 4.0.0 TS5" last Novemeber...

"The intent of this "release" is not to be something that will be
maintained over time or used be end-users of the project, and there
is no branch for it in SVN. Our goal with this test snapshot release
was to create an initial release process and make sure that all of
the artifacts are in place as needed."

That seems to match our intentions here...

> but the process will at least be realistic.

What part of the process do you believe to be unrealistic?

There's /nothing/ that I'm aware of that we're doing/not doing that
would be done differently if the release were at a point where we'd be
promoting it as a 'public' release - the only thing I can think of is
that if the release went through to completion, it would put an
unrealisticaly low load on the infrastructure, as we'd not be
promoting it, but I don't consider that significant...

/Gwyn
--
Download Wicket 1.2.5 now! - http://wicketframework.org