incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mentors and members (was: Re: Mentors On IPMC [WAS Re: [Vote] RCFproposal (was: [Proposal] RCF - a rich component library for JSF)])
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:42:27 GMT
On 4/9/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

SNIP ...

ASF members -do- have additional insights from private forums, and the
> ability to oversee most of the private forums at the ASF.  This means
> they can (and do) go back to the archives to look back at how a specific
> issue (people issues, company issues, legal issues) were addressed in
> similar cases to help guide a podling away from trouble.

I've done this several times and it proved to be a valuable asset to me as a
mentor.

They also have
> made their mark on the Foundation (which is why they are members).  That
> gives me a bit of reassurance that our mentors have less to prove, and
> can help guide the project from 10,000 feet rather than in the trenches,
> where egos can get in the way.

I was opposed to your line of thought until I read this paragraph.  This is
a very
important point I did not consider before.  I think I would agree with you
now that
mentors should be ASF members although IPMC members need not be ASF
members.

If members are spread thin and more mentors are needed for new projects
entering
the incubator then I think this gives us a natural measure of when to
throttle down
project acceptance to maintain proper oversight and guidance to incubating
projects.

Alex