incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Mentors and members
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 02:37:36 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Someone is nominated the iPMC as an active, involved contributor.

No one needs to be on the Incubator PMC because they are an active contributor.  They should
be on the Incubator PMC because they care about Incubation, and Mentoring one or more projects.

> Bottom line, what is the *motivation* to have non-ASF-member Mentorships?

Experience.  I do not want to put an artificial restriction on whom the Incubator may select
as a Mentor.  We have had EXCELLENT Mentors who have performed their role with distinction
long before coming an ASF Member.  And, likewise, Members (even a Director or few) who have
gone AWOL while they are supposed to be Mentoring.  So while I do see where you are coming
from, our real-world experiences do not support your perspective.

The decision is still a human one.  We, collectively, have to make a decision on each individual.

	--- Noel