incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [vote] Propose OpenEJB for graduation to a TLP
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:27:53 GMT
David Blevins wrote:
>> The definition of ejb spells out "Scalable, transactional, and
>> multi-user secure" which is summed up by the word 'enterprise'.
>> So maybe something like "creation and maintenance of enterprise
>> application containers and object distribution".  Maybe expand
>> that last part to "object distribution servers", kind of awkward
>> but uses Container and Server which are  the primary two words
>> we use to describe our architecture

Those are words used throughout the JEE model: Web Container, EJB container,
Portlet Container (superclass of Servlet Container), Client Container,
Applet Container, ... JEE is all about container managed components.

> Ok, going with "object distribution services" as I think that
> describes a less singular approach to supporting distributed
> objects.  At current date we support invocations over our custom
> protocol, CORBA, HTTP, JMS, JAX-RPC, JAX-WS, even telnet.  We
> have a container/server contract and a server implementation
> that allows for numberous ServerService (i.e. protocols) to be
> plugged in and standardly configured in an xinet.d style config.

Invocations of what?  What types of components are supported by the
container?  The EJB contract, surely.  Other components too, just different
means to invoke EJB components?

	--- Noel