incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Propose OpenEJB for graduation to a TLP
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:19:32 GMT

On Apr 27, 2007, at 12:40 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 4/25/07, David Blevins <david.blevins@visi.com> wrote:

>> distribution at

>> > I think it's accurate - it doesn't implement the entire EJB spec
>> > (using other components such as OpenJPA to do so), and it would
>> be in
>> > scope to do additional, non-EJB things that make it better at the
>> > purpose stated here.
>>
>> We could use "Scalable, transactional, and multi-user secure
>> architecture for the development and deployment of component-based
>> business applications", but that'd be plagiarism as that's a
>> minimally paraphrased version the definition of EJB in the JSR.
>>
>> Generally, I think it's good to use words that describe EJB then the
>> words Enterprise JavaBeans specifically.  Primarily because I think
>> it's good to be able to innovate in the space and not limit ourselves
>> to the ideas approved by the EJB JSR Expert Group.
>
> i see your point but the original language isn't great: it's all a
> little wholly. for example, "remoting services" could be read as
> service provision.
>
> perhaps something more like: "creation and maintenance of
> transactional application containers capable of connection by remote
> clients"...?

That could work.  The definition of ejb spells out "Scalable,
transactional, and multi-user secure" which is summed up by the word
'enterprise'.  So maybe something like "creation and maintenance of
enterprise application containers and object distribution".  Maybe
expand that last part to "object distribution servers", kind of
awkward but uses Container and Server which are the primary two words
we use to describe our architecture (i.e. the openejb container/
server contract).  Or one last mutation could be to use "services"
instead of "server" which might be less awkward, giving us "object
distribution services".

Preferences, thoughts?

-David