incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: discussion of release of Apache Wicket 1.3.0-incubating-alpha
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:08:07 GMT

On Apr 4, 2007, at 1:54 PM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 4/4/07, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
>> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

No, the idea of the incubator is to make sure that a project is
suitable for Apache before claiming to be an Apache project.

>> > Just to clarify - I don't think 'withhold' is a good description.
>> > Release - but with no specific expectation of persistence at the
>> > ASF is probably a better description.  E.g. "here's code" is fine,
>> > "here's a community" would be premature.  Public releases of all
>> > of our incubating projects IS goodness if it attracts more people
>> > to the incubating communities, and increases their chances for a
>> > successful graduation and project lifespan.
>>
>> +1.  Doing releases to attract new contributors is essential to
>> podlings
>> who need to build a diverse developer community to exit the
>> incubator.
>>    Wicket doesn't have that issue :-)
>
> IMHO we need to alter the process so that we have an explicit audit
> when the community feels (by vote) that it has a build process in
> place. the code doesn't need to be ready but the build does and the
> codebase needs to be ready for audit.

IMHO the current process is fine but needs to be documented better.
Podlings should be encouraged to release stuff that they think is
usable outside their small world of developers who check out from svn
and build from source. The incubator is set up to review and approve
releases without passing judgement on the usability, just the
"legality".

I have a hard time understanding how a podling can consider itself
ready for graduation without having anything worth sharing, and don't
understand what the point is of having an audit of anything short of
a build artifact.

Craig