incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ted Husted" <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mentors and members (was: Re: Mentors On IPMC [WAS Re: [Vote] RCFproposal (was: [Proposal] RCF - a rich component library for JSF)])
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:45:44 GMT
On 4/9/07, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> I'd agree with you if I perceived Mentorship as a privilege.  I don't,
> I view it entirely as a responsibility to convey "What is Apache" to
> an aspiring podling.  I don't disagree that any of our iPMC members
> (members of any PMC at the foundation, actually) are very clueful and ready
> to help new projects, since they are learning the internals of how projects
> operate at their respective projects.
>
> But there is nothing stopping individuals from becoming a contributor.
> I guess my point is that mentorship isn't a privilege, and shouldn't be
> viewed as a feather in one's cap.  We need active mentors, not those who
> would sign up just for the title.  ASF-Members-as-mentors has not really
> solved this issue, but I believe it still constrains the issue.

To be a member of the Incubator PMC, a volunteer would have either been

* A podling Mentor,
* An ASF Member who requested membership, or
* A non-Member elected to the Incubator PMC by a formal vote.

My point is that any individual who is serving on the Incubator PMC
but is not a Member, would have already demonstrated to the Incubator
PMC that he or she is responsible enough to be a Mentor.

If we could nominate someone as an ASF Member at any time, then our
recourse could e to elect that person as a ASF Member, and then accept
the podling proposal. But, the ASF Member events are few and far
between. If we forget to nominate someone (and we often do), it could
be a year before there's another opportunity (since we also forget to
schedule the votes).

-Ted.